Palm reading, also known as palmistry or chiromancy, is an ancient practice. Modern palmists trace the tradition back to the Indian subcontinent. Reading palm lines was common in Sumeria, China, Babylon, and the Levant, among others. Every mount and line represents a key to your personality, love life, and what your future holds. The details, such as size, dips, folds, and shape of your palm, weave the tapestry of your life.
Most importantly, palms represent the esoteric belief “as above, so below,” which is the foundation of hermeticism and an essential concept in the occult. The lines and topography of your hand mirror the milestones of your life. Palm reading is a skill that needs development, but also requires a strong intuition. With some practice, you can become a proficient palmist over time and improve your readings’ accuracy.
Table of Contents
- 1 Identify Hand Shape
- 2 Choosing a Hand: Left or Right?
- 3 The Mounts and Plains
- 4 How To Read Palm Lines
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
Identify Hand Shape
Some people mistakenly assume that palm reading only involves the lines of the hand. Although lines are a part of palmistry, a proficient palm reader uses every detail to draw connections. The size and shape of your palms and fingers indicate whether you have earth, fire, air, or water hands.
The element of your hand shape does not relate to your astrological sign. You may be a fiery Sagittarius but have air or water hands. When performing a palm read, the following characteristics help you determine the element it represents.
The palm of a person with an earth hand is square, and fingers are short and stocky. They represent a person who uses logic and whom others depend on for stability. People with earth hands are steady and reliable. However, they obsess over the details and events of their present. This preoccupation is an obstacle to their progress and causes setbacks.
People with fire hands have long palms and short fingers. They are passionate and hard workers who exude an air of confidence. Their magnetism and intensity attract others, and they are excellent communicators. People with fire hands let their desires and emotions govern their actions, however. When they are angry or upset, they can “singe” others with their lack of tact and empathy.
Air hands have long, bony fingers and knuckles while the palms are square. People with this hand shape are the logical, intellectual type with a healthy sense of curiosity. Strong communicators, people with air hands are great to talk to and make trustworthy friends. They need constant stimulation and are susceptible to boredom and anxiety when they do not have much to do.
The long palms and fingers of the water hand are soft and indicative of a sensitive and creative person. People with water hands are the artists and creatives in the world of reading palms. They have an acute awareness of their emotions and have a strong intuitive sense. Those with water hands also tend to have psychic abilities. Due to their sensitivity, they are more susceptible to stress and anxiety.
Choosing a Hand: Left or Right?
The read palm is usually the dominant hand. Since most of the world’s population uses their right hand, it is the one that palmists rely on during readings. However, some use both the dominant and passive hand for readings. The passive hand holds insight into a person’s character and personality, while the main one shows how they affect a person’s life.
In the beginning, stick to the use of the dominant hand. As your confidence and ability grow, you can also use the passive side to bolster your reading’s impact.
The Mounts and Plains
The topography of your hand includes the dips, folds, mounts, and texture of the palm. It relates to the seven classical planets in astrology. They are the sun (Apollo), moon (Luna), Jupiter, Mars, Mercury, Venus, and Saturn. Fleshy mounts indicate positive characteristics, while sunken ones denote qualities in your life that you must improve. Overly-fleshy mounts represent an exaggeration of traits that need refinement.
Mount of Jupiter
The mount of Jupiter lies at the base of your index finger. This mount is an indicator of a person’s ambition, leadership qualities, and drive.
Mount of Saturn
You can find the mount of Saturn at the base of the middle finger. This mount symbolizes wisdom, perseverance, and integrity.
Mount of Apollo
The mount of Apollo symbolizes our sun and represents the characteristics of this life-giving star. It is found right beneath the ring finger and indicates a person’s happiness levels, optimism, and energy. The mount of Apollo also shows a person’s artistic sense and creativity.
Mount of Mercury
The flesh beneath the pinky finger is the mount of Mercury. This mount is an indicator of a person’s intelligence and communication skills. It also shows a sharpness of wit, adaptability, the ability to connect with others, and is a gauge of social competence.
Mount of Venus
Responsible for sensuality, sexuality, and passion, the mount of Venus is about the indulgences of love and the emotions that connect to it. It is also an indicator of the depth of emotional connection and empathy one has with others. The Mount of Venus is beneath the thumb.
How To Read Palm Lines
Hand lines give powerful cues about the future of the person you are reading. While the mounts and hand type tell the palmist about one’s personality, the lines foretell what is to come. Every line indicates the degree of one’s pursuits in life.
When lines intersect or run parallel to each other, the element of each line means different things. When reading the palm, always remember that the names of the lines give hints as to what they represent. Reading lines takes dedication but becomes more comfortable over time.
The head line indicates intellectual pursuits, and the lessons one must learn in life. It is the straight line at the center of the palm. The depth of the line shows the sophistication of one’s mental pursuits. If the line is wavy, it shows a deviation in the thinking process that goes against the norm. Breaks in the line can either mean happy surprises or could denote mental woes.
Here is how to interpret the headline:
- If the head line is not there, it indicates a sluggish person.
- A faint line indicates the person lacks concentration and memory.
- A deep line represents good memory and concentration.
- A short line here represents a person who is practical.
- A long line indicates the person is focused and successful although they may have a tendency to be selfish.
- A straight line shows the person is logical, organized, and pays attention to detail.
- A wavy line indicates a short attention span.
- A curved or sloping line indicates someone who is highly creative.
- If the head line begins at the life line, this indicates the person is strong-willed.
- A head line that is separate from the life line indicates an individual who has a strong sense of enthusiasm and adventure for life.
- A broken line indicates inconsistencies in thought.
- Crosses in line may represent crucial decisions that have an important effect on the fate.
- Chains in the line indicate emotional difficulty or personal conflict.
The heart line (or love line) is the first horizontal line you see on your palm. It is right above the head line and tells the story of a person’s romantic success. The heart line relates to all matters of love and relationships throughout life. The love line represents your romantic story but also relies on integrity.
If the heart line starts from the index finger and has few breaks and forks, it means a good love life and fidelity. If the line starts from the middle finger and has many bends and fractures, it may mean rocky partnerships or a tendency for deceit. Just because your love line has fractures does not mean that you will or should cheat on your partner!
Here is how to interpret the heart line:
- If the line starts below the index finger, it represents pickiness in terms of love.
- If the line begins below the middle finger, it shows selfishness in love.
- If it begins in the middle of the palm, it indicates the person easily falls in love.
- If the heart line is not present, this indicates the individual is ruled by logic instead of emotion.
- If the line is present at the fate line, this indicates the person places little importance on their emotions.
- A straight, short, heart line represents a person who is not particularly worried about romance.
- A long and curvy line however indicates the person freely expresses their emotions.
- A wavy line indicates several relationships are lovers, without a serious relationship.
- If the heart and head line run parallel to one another, this indicates the person has a good handle on their emotions.
- If the heart line and life line touch, this indicates the person gets their heart broken easily.
- If the heart line is broken or the heart line presents with smaller lines crossing through it – it could represent some emotional trauma.
- Chained lines indicate depression.
The life line is under the head line on the palm. Your life line does not foretell mortality, and it is best to avoid forecasting mortality during a palm reading. When most people unfamiliar with palmistry hear the term life line and see that theirs is short, it may cause undue psychological stress and anxiety.
The deeper the life line is, the more likely that the person will have a rewarding life experience. If a life line is short, it does not foretell disaster or doom, just like a long line is not a significant indicator of longevity.
Here is how to interpret the life line:
- If the line is not there, the person is thought to be anxious and nervous.
- Faint lines indicate low energy, while deep lines indicate a smooth life path.
- Long deep lines represent good health, while short deep life lines show a person should be able to overcome health issues easily.
- Curvy lines represent abundant energy.
- A line running to the thumb shows a person who easily tires.
- Breaks in the line means sudden changes in lifestyle.
- Broken lines on both hands may indicate serious illness or injury.
- Chained lines indicate the person is susceptible to many health problems that could take their life in a number of directions.
The fate line determines what degree people influence a person’s life and choices. You can identify this line by finding the vertical crease at the center of the palm. The fate line changes most out of all the lines in the palm. Your fate line often looks different after a significant event impacts your life.
Here is how to interpret the fate line:
- A deep fate line means that you have a strong desire to be successful. People with a deep fate line are often entrepreneurs that start their own business.
- If your fate line starts at the life line, it means that you’ve had a strong sense of purpose since birth. You’ll likely pursue a successful career based on early interests you developed at a younger age.
- If you see a break at one point in your fate line before continuing on, it indicates that you are likely to change career paths in the near future.
- If you see several different breaks in your fate line, it is likely that you’ll experience several twists and turns in your career.
- If you don’t have a fate line at all, it likely means that you either change careers often or you have a lot of different interests that you pursue during your lifetime.
The sun line is the vertical line found under the ring finger. It shows whether a person will achieve success through a personal endeavor or outside influence. If the line intersects with the fate line, it means that external forces will have a hand in your success.
Here is how to interpret the sun line:
- Having a deep sun line indicates that you may become famous one day and will be very successful.
- A faint sun line means that you are refining your skills towards achieving success in both your marriage and your career (no easy task!)
- If you have a very clear sun line, it means that you have a good taste for literature and arts.
- If you have a sun line that breaks before resuming, it means that you’ll overcome past experiences to have great success.
- A sun line that runs parallel to your fate line means that you’ll gain a solid reputation throughout your life and experience great success.
- If you don’t have a sun line, it indicates that you should take a break from work and take time enjoy life every now and then.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Palm Readings Accurate?
Palmistry has a rich legacy worldwide and is a skill that leads to accurate results for many people. Its longevity and popularity attest to its success. A proficient palmist has the right training and intuitive development to perform accurate hand and line readings.
Does Palmistry Tell the Future?
Nobody has the absolute power to tell the future. However, palmistry gives cues about the impact of a person’s personality on their life path. Professional palm readers have a natural inclination for a palm reading and usually have the gift of psychic ability. Using their skills and intuition, palmists use a person’s hand to guide their life journey.
What Are Palm Readers Called?
Palm readers have many names, which include palmists, hand analysts, hand readers, and chirologists. Regardless of the name that a palm reader goes by, reading the mounts, lines, and shape of your hand is a practice that requires skill and proficiency. Although it takes time to develop, it opens a world that helps people identify their purpose.