Interestingly, there are more than 100 chakras in the human body. The main 7 chakras you are likely familiar with, however, are usually the ones associated with healing:
- The Root
- Solar Plexus
- Third Eye
- Crown Chakras
These chakras start at your tailbone and travel up along the spinal cord, ending at the very top of your head. You might be familiar with them, but not have a cleansing method you can count on.
There are many effective methods for chakra healing. Like with other spiritual practices, the goal is to achieve balance between body, spirit, Earth, and the universe. These 9 methods will help you own your chakra energy, better your overall health, and reach a spiritual equilibrium.
Table of Contents
Signs You Might Benefit from Chakra Healing
To know if you need to be clearing your chakras, it is important to know what each of the seven represent. Here is a quick summary:
- Root Chakra – sits at the base of your spine and deals with fundamental survival needs (food, shelter, etc.)
- Sacral Chakra – located right below your belly button and governs your imagination (and your reproductive organs)
- Solar Plexus – found in your stomach and is crucial for digestion; also has an important mental and spiritual purpose
- Heart Chakra – controls cardiovascular system and governs your emotional connections
- Throat Chakra – located near the thyroid glands; regulates hormones and guides self-expression and communication
- Third Eye Chakra – found just above your eyebrows; source of insight and intuition
- Crown Chakra – located at the top of the head; acts as a power connection to the rest of the world
If all of your chakras are balanced and aligned, you will feel healthy physically, emotionally, and spiritually. However, they can become blocked due to a number of factors (stress, trauma, etc.).
When this happens, the natural flow of energy throughout your body (called prana) is disrupted. One chakra will become closed off while others become hyperactive. This can happen due to the redirection of your body’s energy. It can cause both mental and physical imbalances.
By knowing what each chakra represents, you can understand why you might be imbalanced. If you find yourself having trouble making emotional connections, for instance, you likely have a blocked heart chakra. Similarly, indecisiveness is associated with an imbalanced third eye chakra.
Once you are able to identify which chakra is blocked, it is much easier to perform a chakra cleansing. Consider the following practices that will improve the flow of energy throughout your body.
How To Heal Your Chakras
A simple yet powerful way for clearing your chakras is by using affirmations. These positive statements have the ability to strengthen and heal damaged parts of ourselves. Using them allows you to give your full attention to individual aspects of yourself. Some examples of affirmations you could use for each chakra include:
- Root – “I am humble. I am happy with who I am.”
- Sacral – “I am powerful, radiant, and beautiful. My life is filled with health, passion, and energy.”
- Solar Plexus – “I love who I am. I accept my strengths and my weaknesses.”
- Heart – “Love is crucial to have a happy life. I promise to give and receive love without limits.”
- Throat – “I will keep my thoughts positive. I will always express myself clearly and truthfully.”
- Third Eye – “I am wise and knowledgeable. I strive to understand the true meaning of life.”
- Crown – “I am one with the divine energy; it completes me.”
You can use affirmations for each of your chakras if you desire. If you think you have a problem with a specific one, focus your energy on healing that part of yourself. For instance, if you feel that your creativity is stifled, you’ll want to focus on your sacral chakra. Reminding yourself that you are passionate and filled with life will help cleanse that chakra.
Massaging the area where the chakra is located can be a great way to promote energy flow. For each chakra, massage the following areas:
- Root – massage the feet, legs and gluteal muscles
- Sacral – focus on releasing tension in the hips through myofascial release for the hip flexors and iliopsoas muscle
- Solar Plexus – using oils, massage the area around your belly button in a clockwise motion. This will promote waste elimination and improve your organs’ functions.
- Heart – focus on massaging your upper back, apply gentle pressure to the pectoral muscles, arm, and shoulder joint along myofascial releases
- Throat – apply pressure to the neck and release restricted fascia tissues around the back and front of the neck
- Third Eye – perform a technique referred to as “brow stripping;” involves massaging muscles in the temples, nasal sinuses, and jaw area
- Crown – release cranial tissue adhesions with scalp massages, cervical traction, and hair pulls
3. Color Vibrations
When seeing certain hues, our bodies, moods, and emotions are all affected. Chakras can be rebalanced when we are exposed to colors. More specifically, the vibrations they emit. Each chakra has a designated color:
- Root – red
- Sacral – orange
- Solar Plexus – yellow
- Heart – green
- Throat – blue
- Third Eye – indigo
- Crown – purple and white
Target your problem chakra by exposing yourself to its associated color. You can do this by making conscious choices in your home and office décor, diet, and clothing. Some people even wear color glasses that provide your body with additional exposure to a color.
For instance, if you find your communication suffering, your throat chakra might be off. You could try decorating your room in blue tones to expose your chakra to the appropriate color vibrations.
Chakras, like with color vibrations, respond to different sound healing frequencies. Solfeggio, where music frequencies are used to make healing sounds, is one popular technique.
Isochronic Chakra Suite is also popular and involves brainwave entertainment methods. In this technique, Tibetan singing bowls are combined with Solfeggio frequencies to promote chakra healing.
Yoga is a great way to promote the flow of energy in your body. Common movements and postures found in yoga are known to unblock chakras by expelling negative energy. Additionally, the movements and postures encourage fresh energy to flow inwards.
6. Professional Energy Healers
Many people can benefit from visiting a professional energy healer. These professionals will assess a client’s energy levels and use that to figure out why they might be experiencing an energy blockage.
Then, the healer will be able to offer appropriate treatment options and apply them accordingly. With the right healer, you will be able to overcome any spiritual blockage you might have.
7. Essential Oils
Essential oils are often used for chakra cleansing. They can be used on their own, but people often combine essential oils with massage techniques. The recommended oils for each chakra are as follows:
- Root Chakra. Angelica, St. Johnís Wort, Frankincense, and Patchouli
- Sacral Chakra. Clove, Orange, Juniper, Neroli, and Rosemary
- Solar Plexus. Peppermint, Lemon, Rosemary, Marjoram, and Yarrow
- Heart Chakra. Basil, Rosewood, Melissa, and Rose
- Throat Chakra. Blue Chamomile, Sage, and Lemongrass
- Third Eye Chakra. Lavender, Elemi, Clary Sage, and Spruce
- Crown Chakra. Myrrh, Geranium, Sandalwood, and Gotu Kola
8. Chakra Stones
Because each chakra has a designated color, you can use a color-corresponding chakra stone to heal an energy block. Some stones, such as clear quartz, have the ability to heal multiple chakras.
To use a chakra stone, simply place it on the area where the chakra is located. You can also wear them as jewelry, put them under your pillow when you sleep, or place them around your home.
Because chakras are part of an interconnected system of energy, focusing on the entity as a whole often comes easier. This is especially true for people who are just learning how to manage their chakras. Meditation is your mental access point into any chakra you choose.
With experience and time, you’ll be able to isolate and focus on specific problems. For those who are starting to meditate, consider the following steps:
- Find a quiet, peaceful place where you won’t be bothered for about 30 minutes.
- Sit in a comfortable position on the floor with your legs crossed in front of you (you may sit on a cushion if desired).
- Sit up straight, but don’t let your spine be too tense.
- Rest your hands comfortably on your knees.
- Breathe in and out slowly and steadily.
- Picture each of the seven chakras in your body and the energy flowing in and out of them. Use the color associations to help in your visualization.
- Make sure you focus on each chakra for several minutes. By the end of the meditation, you should have a good picture of your body’s energy flow.
- Use guided meditation techniques and tools if needed.
After a few whole body meditation sessions, you should have a better grasp on each chakra. You can then dedicate meditation time for individual chakras to better understand your spiritual connections.