More people are looking to mediums for spiritual counsel than ever before, but many people still don’t understand what they actually do.
Too often, people assume that psychics and mediums are exactly the same. It’s easy to see how this can be confusing – you’ve probably even heard of someone refer to themselves as a “psychic medium”.
But there’s a big difference between these types of supernatural gifts, and it’s important to know the distinction between the two before you seek spiritual guidance.
Table of Contents
What Is a Medium?
A medium entails an individual who communicates with and delivers messages from the deceased using their psychic abilities.
This type of psychic gift is based on the belief that when our physical bodies die, our spirits carry on. A medium serves as the bridge between our physical world and the spirit world beyond. Some can even communicate with deceased animals.
They can receive information directly from the dead, through spirit guides, or through angels. Spirit guides are special entities chosen by the higher self that have a strong, life-long connection with a psychic and serve as their window into the spirit world.
Types of Mediumship
Not all mediums are the same. There are two main types:
- Mental: Mental mediums communicate with spirits through their minds. They may hear words, feel emotions, or come to know things telepathically.
- Physical: Physical mediums can make spiritual energy manifest in the real world. The spirit may be heard, felt, or even seen by everyone in the room, not just the psychic. Through them, a paranormal event occurs in the physical world.
The ability to communicate with the dead is a skill that requires practice and knowledge. You cannot train to become one – it’s a gift that you’re born with and develop over time.
When mediums reach out to the spirit world, they can receive information through one or a combination of these senses:
- Clairvoyance – clear seeing
- Clairsentience – clear feeling
- Clairaudience – clear hearing
- Claircognizance – clear knowing
Methods of Contacting Spirits
Mediums can reach out to the spirit world in a variety of ways depending on their abilities. The most common methods of contact are:
- Séance: Physical mediums will often use a séance to communicate with the dead. During a séance, a group of people gather together in a circle to invite the presence of a spirit. Séances should only be done under the guidance of a trained psychic.
- Trance: When a psychic enters a trance, they allow their body to become a vessel for the spirit. Physical mediums must enter a deep trance, and some may even come out of it without any memory of what happened.
- Channeling: Mental mediums can enter a very light form of a trance called channeling to contact a person’s deceased loved one. They are fully aware of what’s going on as they receive and deliver the message.
- Spirit Board: Also known as a talking board or Ouija board, spirit boards are commonly used to ask the deceased questions with simple one-word answers.
What’s The Difference Between Mediums and Psychics?
Psychic is a much broader term used for anyone who possesses the ability to read auras and sense spiritual energy. There are many different types of psychic abilities, and the ability to communicate with spirits is one of them.
All mediums are psychics, but not all psychics are mediums. If all psychics are fruit, mediums are apples. You get the picture.
Psychics also use the gifts of clairvoyance, clairaudience, etc., but in a different way. Psychics gather information about the world around them to interpret the present and can even use their strong intuition to predict the future.
Mediums have a stronger spiritual connection that allows them to not just gather information about the physical world, but to receive and interpret messages from the spirit world as well.
Should You Seek Help from a Psychic or a Medium?
Who you should go to for guidance depends entirely on what you want to get out of the experience.
If you’ve lost a loved one and need closure or want to hear from them, you should talk to a professional medium. By letting you know that your loved one’s spirit is still present, they can be a great source of comfort and healing during the grieving process.
If you need general life guidance – you’re unsure what career path to take or if you should end your relationship – then a psychic should be able to provide the counseling you need to move forward.
Whatever you decide to do, leave any cynicism at the door and keep an open mind – the more open you are to the experience, the more you’ll get out of it.